Sweet Potato Skillet Bake
This is actually one of the first recipes I ever created. We need dinner, but what I originally planned to make didn't work out so I took a look at the items I always have in my kitchen; ground turkey, sweet potatoes, red bell peppers, and onions. Over the last few years I've made tweaks to the original recipe, but it is still all the same great ingredients that are satiating, healthy, and comforting. It is the perfect meal to satisfy the whole family especially during cold fall and winter nights! This recipe is also great for meal prep as it makes about 4 servings and reheats well.
1 lbs ground turkey
1/2 tbs minced garlic
1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
1/4 yellow onion
1 red bell pepper
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 cup mozzarella
*optional 1/2 tbsp McCormick's bell pepper & garlic seasoning
1) Preheat oven to 425.
2) Cut sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Evenly arrange on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
3) Spray sweet potatoes with avocado oil then top with salt and pepper to taste.
4) Roast sweet potatoes for 10 minutes.
5) While sweet potatoes cook, chop onion and red bell pepper.
6) Heat 1 tbsp of oil in skillet then add garlic and onions. Cook 2 minutes.
7) Add ground turkey and cook until brown.
8) After the 10 minutes, add chopped bell pepper to sweet potatoes and toss.
9) Continue cooking sweet potatoes for 5 minutes or until fork tender.
10) Combine sweet potatoes and bell peppers with turkey in skillet. *Option to sprinkle with bell pepper & garlic seasoning)
11) Sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella.
12) Bake for 5 minutes until cheese is bubbly. *Option to broil on high for 1-2 minutes to lightly brown cheese, but keep a close eye to not burn.
13) Serve hot and enjoy!
This recipe really does mean a lot to me since it helped me realize my passion for developing my own recipes in the kitchen. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have over the last few years!