Double Chocolate Zucchini Overnight Oats
I can be quoted as saying that overnight oats are my FAVORITE breakfast! After months of eating my basic overnight oats with almond butter and strawberry spread, I finally decided to break out of my breakfast rut...but not too far out. With that I bring you my double chocolate zucchini overnight oats. This might be the most delicious way to sneak vegetables into your breakfast plus it features cacao powder which is high in magnesium, iron, flavonoids, and phenylethylamine (boosts focus and awareness). The best part of this nutrient bomb is that you can make several servings at once so all you have to do in the morning is twist off the mason jar lid and go (or warm it up in the microwave for 60 seconds if you want melty chocolate goodness!).
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 medium zucchini
2 tsp cacao powder
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp chia seeds
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 tbsp maple syrup, honey, or stevia drops (optional for extra sweetness)
1) Finely shred zucchini using either a grater or food processor. (linked my favorite grater)
2) Squeeze excess water out of zucchini. Cheese cloths work best and are environmentally friendly, but paper towels work as well. (linked my go-to cloths)
3) Combine oats, chia seeds, cacao powder, cinnamon, zucchini, chocolate chips, almond milk, and optional syrup/honey/stevia in mason jar.
4) Seal jar then shake until ingredients are well mixed.
5) Refrigerate overnight then enjoy!
*can be stored in the fridge for 3 days
My hope with this recipe is that you'll see that food can be delicious, nutrient dense, easy, and affordable. You might not be able to eat cake for breakfast everyday and feel your best, but you can absolutely eat chocolate every day with zero guilt! If you enjoy this recipe share it on Instagram and tag me @breadandkaleenthusiast!